The myPenalty online service will be unavailable between 7.00am and 5.00pm on Sunday, 16 July due to scheduled maintenance. We apologise for any inconvenience.
Email a link to this pagePrint this pageReduce font sizeIncrease font size

Request a review

You can request a review of your penalty notice if you believe an error has been made or you wish to seek leniency because there were special circumstances which contributed to the offence.

We cannot conduct a review if we also receive a request to have the matter decided in court.

To request a review via myPenalty, you will need:

Select Request a review below to lodge your request online, are unsure if the deadline for requesting a review has passed or to track the progress of a request you have already submitted.

You can also request a review by sending us a Request for review of a penalty notice form (PDF) or written request with your documentary evidence.

You can contact us by phone if you believe the fine was issued to the wrong registration number or you are seeking consideration of a 10 year clear driving record for a traffic offence. We cannot consider a clear driving record for parking, non-demerit or serious traffic offences, such as a school zone offence, speeding more than 20 km/h over the limit or driving while using a mobile phone.

When do I need to submit my request?

We must receive your request by the due date on the penalty reminder notice. If you have paid the fine before receiving a reminder notice, the deadline is 60 days from when you received the penalty notice. If you are unsure of the exact deadline, please contact us.

What evidence do I need to support my request?

For more information about the documentary evidence needed to support your request and reasons we consider, read the SDRO review guidelines (PDF). You can also read the Attorney General's Caution Guidelines and Internal Review Guidelines.

What are the possible outcomes of the review?

When the review is completed you will receive written advice on the outcome, including one of the following decisions:

  • Penalty to stand - the offence was proven and the circumstances or issues raised did not warrant granting a caution. You must pay the fine or elect to have the matter decided in court.

  • Caution - the penalty notice was issued correctly and the offence occurred but due to the circumstances and evidence provided you have now been issued a caution. Payment is not required and demerit points do not apply. However, for demerit point offences the caution will be recorded on your driving history.

  • Cancellation - the penalty notice does not sufficiently disclose the offence or has been issued in error. You do not have to pay the fine and demerit points (if applicable) will not be recorded

I have changed my address, how do I update my details?

NSW law requires you to notify Roads & Maritime Services (RMS) of a change of address within 14 days. If you do not update your address with RMS, you are unlikely to receive important notices from us that may result in additional costs or enforcement action. You can change your address with RMS by phone at 132 213 or online.

Last updated: 28 June 2017