The myPenalty online service will be unavailable between 7.00am and 5.00pm on Sunday, 16 July due to scheduled maintenance. We apologise for any inconvenience.
Email a link to this pagePrint this pageReduce font sizeIncrease font size

Go to court

If you receive a penalty notice, you can request to have the penalty decided in court.

If you want us to review your penalty notice, do not request to go to court at the same time. By law, we must stop a review once we receive a court election.

Do not request to go to court if you want us to review your penalty notice.

To have your penalty decided in court via myPenalty, you will need:

  • the penalty notice number,
  • the date of the offence, and
  • a residential address for us to send the Court Attendance Notice (CAN). Please note, we cannot send a CAN to a postal address.

Select Go to court below to lodge your request online, are unsure if the deadline for going to court has passed or to check if a CAN has been sent.

You can also choose to have a penalty decided in court by sending us a Request to have a penalty decided in court - Individuals (PDF) or Request to have a penalty decided in court - Companies (PDF) or written request.

The court may apply additional costs when the matter is determined.

When do I need to submit my request?

We must receive your request by the due date on the penalty reminder notice. If you have paid the fine before receiving a reminder notice, the deadline is 90 days from when you received the penalty notice.

Note: if you have requested a review that was unsuccessful, you have 28 days to advise us that you wish to go to court.

How can I track the progress of my request?

You can log in to myPenalty to check if we have received and processed your request. The status on the summary page will tell you whether we have received your request, and the court and date to attend, if it has been listed to court.

What happens after I submit my request?

We will send you a Court Attendance Notice (CAN) listing the court and date to attend. The matter is generally listed at the local court nearest to where the offence occurred. If you want to have it moved you must contact the court listed on the CAN.

What if I change my mind?

If you lodged a request to go to court but have changed your mind we can only accept your retraction if the Court Attendance Notice (CAN) has not yet replaced the penalty.

If you have received the CAN it is too late to ask us to withdraw the matter from court. You should contact the court listed on your notice to determine your options.

For more information on going to court, download Having your penalty notice decided in court (PDF).

I have changed my address, how do I update my details?

NSW law requires you to notify Roads & Maritime Services (RMS) of a change of address within 14 days. If you do not update your address with RMS, you are unlikely to receive important notices from us that may result in additional costs or enforcement action. You can change your address with RMS by phone at 132 213 or online.

Last updated: 24 December 2015