The State Debt Recovery (SDR) website and all online services will be unavailable between 7.00am on Saturday, 11 March and 7.00pm on Sunday, 12 March due to scheduled maintenance. We apologise for any inconvenience.
Email a link to this pagePrint this pageReduce font sizeIncrease font size

Postpone enforcement action

The Director of the State Debt Recovery Office (SDRO) can postpone the enforcement of your fine if you are facing serious financial, medical or domestic problems. In certain circumstances, the fine may be written off.

To see if you are eligible, please read How to postpone enforcement action (PDF).

How do I apply to postpone the fine?

You can apply once you have received an enforcement order.

To apply, you need to write a letter to the Director of SDRO and send it to:

PO Box A2571
Sydney South NSW 1235

Your letter must contain:

  • your full name, date of birth, address and licence number (if you have one)

  • your enforcement order number(s)

  • the grounds for your application. Is it financial, medical or domestic problems, or a combination of these?

  • your current financial situation. You need to fill out a Statement of Financial Circumstances form (PDF), showing your income, all the things you own and your current debts. You must supply copies of documents that demonstrate your financial circumstances (e.g. Proof of income, bank statements, gas/electricity/phone bills). Your application can't be assessed without these

  • your Centrelink income details if you are unemployed, or not working full-time.

You must explain why you think your situation will not improve.

What other information must I include with my application?

If you apply because of domestic circumstances, you must describe your situation and the daily problems you face. For example, you may be caring for someone and spending all your money on helping them. If you can, provide a letter from a community welfare group to explain your problems.

If you apply because of your medical circumstances, you must include a letter or report from a doctor, hospital or health care worker. Your application can't be assessed without this.

What happens after I submit my application?

After your application is assessed, you will be sent a letter explaining what has been decided.

If you don't include all the information required, the Director may refuse your application. You may be asked to send in additional evidence.

What if my application is successful?

If your application is successful we will write to you and tell you whether your enforcement orders have been postponed or written off.

If your enforcement orders are written off, you must not receive any new enforcement orders for 5 years. If you do, the Director may reverse the decision and you will have to pay all your enforcement orders as soon as possible.

What if my application is rejected?

If your application is refused, you can appeal the decision by applying to the Fines Hardship Review Board.

Last updated: 25 February 2015