The Employer Garnishee Order online service will be unavailable between 8.00am and 11.00am on Sunday, 23 July due to scheduled maintenance. We apologise for any inconvenience.
Email a link to this pagePrint this pageReduce font sizeIncrease font size

Civil sanctions

If you do not pay or finalise your enforcement order after Roads and Maritime Services restrictions are applied, we will apply civil sanctions. For each civil sanction imposed, an enforcement cost of $65 is added to the fine ($25 for juveniles).

If you receive a civil sanction your options are:

If you still take no action we can issue a community service order requiring you to perform unpaid community work to the value of your outstanding enforcement order.

Civil sanctions include:

Property seizure order

This allows the sheriff to enter your home or workplace and seize goods belonging to you to auction to pay the outstanding enforcement order.

Garnishee order to your employer

This requires your employer to deduct money from your wages to pay the outstanding enforcement order.

An employer garnishee order is a legal document issued by the State Debt Recovery Office (SDRO) requiring employers to deduct money from an individual's wage/salary.

If you are an employer and have received a garnishee order from SDRO, action it immediately. You can provide your response through the Employer Garnishee Order Self Service portal using the information received from the garnishee order.

Do not ignore the garnishee order. If you fail to comply with the order, you may be summoned to appear in court to explain why you should not be liable for the amount owed.

Note: providing false or misleading information to SDRO may result in legal prosecution.

Garnishee order to your bank

This requires your bank to deduct money from your account to pay the outstanding enforcement order. Read the Garnishee order client information factsheet (PDF) for more information.

SDR may approve a refund of part or all of the money taken from your bank account in some circumstances. Read the Policy relating to refunds (PDF) for more information.

Examination summons

We can issue you with a summons to attend court where one of our representatives will examine your financial circumstances to determine any future action for you to pay the outstanding fine.

Charge on land

The charge will prevent you from selling your property until you pay the outstanding enforcement order amount.

Last updated: 27 January 2016